It’s another end of the week and we are here to round up the stories that dominated conversations across the social space.
A little heads up guys, it is election season and party primaries are holding across the states in Nigeria. So, the polity is heating up with excitement, disappointments, allegations and political trends. Expectedly, the coming 2023 elections are the major conversation on all social media platforms.
Consequently, that is the focus of our conversation today and that is going to taint the conversations for weeks and months to come.
Now that we are clear, let us look at the topics that drove the conversation this week!
Headies 2022 nominations
The 15th headies will be held at the Cobb Energy Performing arts Center in Atlanta Georgia on September 4th 2022. The full list of-2022 headies award nominees is out. Some of the most nominees include Wizkid, Tems, Burna Boy, Portable, Davido, Ayra Starr, BNXN, Ruger and many others.
Here is a summary of the others:
- The most contested is the next rated category with the winner expected to go home with a Bentley Bentayga. nominated for the category are Bnxn, Ayrastar, Ruger, Zinolesky, and Lojay.
- Nominations for the best female vocal performance: Niniola, Waje, Tems, Arya Starr, Lita, Simi
- Best Afrobeats album: Ayrastar, 19 & dangerous, Kizz Daniel: Barnabas, Davido: A Better time, Teni: wonderland, Wizkid: Made in Lagos, Ajebo Hustlers: Kpos Lifestyle.
- Songwriter of the year: Joy: Falana, Peru: Fireboy, Meji Meji-Brymo, sinner-Adekunle gold, Omahlay-understand, Ajebo Hustlers- Loyalty
- Lifetime achievement will be presented to Angelique Kidjo,
- Humanitarian award nominees are Tuface, Donjazzy, Davido, Ruggedman,
- Special Recognition will be given to Bose Ogulu (Mama Burna), Sunday Are, and Efe Omorogbe, for their contribution to moving Nigerian music forward.
- Rookie of the year nominees are: Fave, Ugoccie, Av, Magix, Portable
- Other categories include the best Collaboration, best video, best r&b, headies viewer’s choice, best south African, west African and a host of others.
The nominations this year include more categories including West African and other countries which seems like an attempt to move the award beyond the shores of Nigeria which may be the reason for moving the award venue outside the shores of Nigeria for the first time in 15 years.
These nominations are already drawing reactions from different fan bases as some are disappointed their faves were snubbed or didn’t get enough nominations in their estimation. This is what fans of Nigerian music are saying about the headies nominations.
Peter Obi resigns from PDP, withdraws from the presidential race
This week, former Anambra State governor and 2023 presidential aspirant Peter Obi announced his resignation from the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and withdrawal from the party’s presidential primaries on Wednesday, May 25 with an announcement via his verified Twitter account where he shared a copy of his resignation letter.
This announcement from the most popular presidential aspirant for the 2023 presidential election drew mixed reactions from people on all social media platforms. below are some of the reactions from social media users.
Banky W won… and lost again
During the week, news filtered into Twitter that Bankole Wellington, popular known as Banky W won the People’s Democratic Party PDP primaries to represent Eti-Osa at the federal house of representatives. This bit was information was accompanied by a video where the votes were being counted and there was rejoicing leading us to conclude that his votes were higher and he had won the primaries.
Well, new information has emerged after the results from primaries were announced by the PDP in Lagos with a twist and Banky W seems not to have won after all. Shocker!
A video was shared of banky w’s vote being counted to 28 and declared the winner of the primaries but the official result was released by the party and his votes were 7.
This new twist has made lots of young people on social media sad about the state of politics in the country and how the system actively conspires to keep young people out.
There you have it folks, the top stories that drove the conversation in the social media space. It was a week full of conversations about politics, ongoing party primaries and all things politics leading up to the fast-approaching 2023 general elections.
Thankfully, it was not all politics as the Headies nominations gave us something entertaining to look forward to and we will keep you updated as things develop.
Until next week.
Get the best of Africa’s daily tech to your inbox – first thing every morning.
Join the community now!