NUC introduces software engineering, cybersecurity, others to university curriculum


The National Universities Commission (NUC) has just introduced revamped core tech courses to the curriculum of Nigerian universities. Dr Chris Maiyaki, the acting Executive Secretary of the commission, confirmed during a recent stakeholder meeting that the new curriculum will be incorporated starting September 2023.

Maiyaki explained that the new curriculum, called Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standards CCMAS, will constitute 70% of the curriculum, while universities will determine the remaining 30%. He believes this implementation will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the education sector.

Some of the new courses introduced into the Nigerian university through the National Universities Commission include Cybersecurity, Data Science, Information and Communication Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, and Software Engineering.

Read More: Kenya’s first online university gets govt approval, expects to admit 7,100 candidates

Introduction of tech courses into Nigerian university curriculum
NUC introduces software engineering, cybersecurity, others to university curriculum
exploring the world of technology in Nigerian university curriculum

The introduction of programs like Cybersecurity, Data Science, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Information Systems, and Software Engineering into the Nigerian university system by the Federal Government through the National Universities Commission (NUC) can be attributed to several reasons such as:

  1. Technological Advancements: The rapid advancement of technology globally has created a growing demand for professionals with expertise in cybersecurity, data science, ICT, and software engineering. These fields are critical in addressing contemporary challenges and opportunities in the digital age.
  2. Industry Demand: The information technology industry is expanding, and there is a need for a highly skilled workforce to meet the demands of various sectors, including finance, healthcare, telecommunications, and government. The new curriculum aligns with industry needs.
  3. Economic Growth: A focus on technology-related disciplines can contribute to economic growth by fostering innovation, entrepreneurship, and the development of technology-based startups. This, in turn, can create job opportunities and stimulate economic development.
  4. Global Competitiveness: As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, nations strive to remain competitive in the global economy. By offering cutting-edge technology programs, Nigerian universities can produce graduates who are globally competitive and can contribute to the country’s presence in the global technology landscape.
  5. Cybersecurity Concerns: With the rise in cyber threats and attacks, there is a growing need for cybersecurity experts to protect critical infrastructure, government systems, and private data. Introducing cybersecurity programs helps address these security challenges.
  6. Data-Driven Decision-Making: Data science and analytics play a crucial role in helping organizations make informed decisions. These programs are designed to equip students with the skills needed to analyze and derive insights from large datasets.
  7. ICT Infrastructure Development: Nigeria, like many other countries, is investing in information and communication technology infrastructure. Developing a skilled workforce in ICT-related fields can support the growth and maintenance of this infrastructure.
  8. Global Knowledge Exchange: By offering programs in line with international standards and trends, Nigerian universities can facilitate knowledge exchange and collaboration with universities and institutions worldwide.

Incorporating technology into one’s life can enhance efficiency, knowledge, and connections while opening up a world of opportunities and improving various aspects of one’s life.

Therefore, the introduction of the newly revised courses reflects a recognition of the evolving technological landscape and the need to equip Nigerian graduates with the skills and knowledge required to thrive in a technology-driven world, boost economic growth, enhance cybersecurity, and stay competitive on the global stage.

Read More: Nexford University partners 270 employers, Africa Digital Media Institute to tackle graduate unemployment in Kenya

Technext Newsletter

Get the best of Africa’s daily tech to your inbox – first thing every morning.
Join the community now!

Register for Technext Coinference 2023, the Largest blockchain and DeFi Gathering in Africa.

Technext Newsletter

Get the best of Africa’s daily tech to your inbox – first thing every morning.
Join the community now!