Get ready for an exhilarating journey as Africacomicade proudly presents the highly anticipated annual Gamathon event. From September 25th to September 30th, 2023, brace yourself to explore the African immersive and interactive media industry i.e Video games, animation, comics, and extended reality.
This year’s Gamathon is a testament to our commitment to bridging the knowledge and investment gap within Africa’s digital creative industry. Our goal is to spotlight the incredible talents of creators while fostering connections with private and public stakeholders in the ecosystem.
Since its inception in 2020, the Gamathon has united global stakeholders and partnered with industry giants like XBOX, STEAM, UNITY, Rovio, Carry1st, the IGDA Foundation, IndieGame Business, Humble Bundle, and more. These partnerships fuel a vibrant dialogue and exchange, driving a deeper understanding of the African Video game industry’s potential and opportunities.
Be prepared for a thrilling array of activities during this year’s Gamathon, streamed from the dynamic city of Lagos:
- Game Jam: Game developers across Africa collaborate to build games in the span of one week, showcasing their talents. 🎮✨ Gara is spearheading this with a prize pool of $2000 and publishing a deal with the winning game developers.
- Engaging Workshops, Talks, and Panels: Renowned experts and thought leaders discuss the state of the industry and emerging trends, sharing valuable insights and exploring the industry’s future. 🎙️🌟
- Effective Networking: Leverage the MeettoMatch Platform to foster meaningful connections and seize valuable opportunities. 🤝💼
- ARK Pitch: Game developers and studios vie for feedback, publishing deals, a spot in the ARK fellowship program, and a chance to win a cool prototype grant from a $12,000 grant pool. 🚀🔍 Winners from the pitch will also be travelling to Africa Games Week event this NOV/DEC and will have the opportunity to pitch at global events like GDBAY.
- Industry Showcases: Discover the amazing creative projects in the African Video games and immersive industry. 🌐🚀
- Teen Expo at Vibranium Valley: Inspire the next generation with a taste of interactive and immersive media’s potential to become creators, not just consumers. 🧑🎓🌍
- Lagos City Tour: Explore Lagos’s rich heritage and energy, experiencing the creative landscape firsthand. 🌆🎮 visiting studios like Spoof Animation, OrangeVFX, Radioxity Media and more.
Our belief in Africa’s potential shines through the industry’s growth, currently valued at $862.8 million in 2023 from $590M in 2022. The Gamathon is your gateway to harness this potential by connecting digital creatives with essential resources, fostering collaboration, and setting the stage for sustainable innovation. By facilitating access to stakeholders, we’re laying the foundation for growth within local markets and on the global stage.
Gamathon 23 is made possible, thanks to support from the community and our sponsors: XBOX, GARA, Indie Games Business, AfricaGamesWeek, Technext, and LG Electronics. For event details and tickets, visit us at www.africacomicade.org/gamathon. Grab your tickets now. 🎟️📲
Africacomicade is a launchpad for stakeholders in Africa’s immersive and interactive media industry, providing learning, growth, collaboration, and funding pathways. With a focus on sustainability, youth empowerment, and creative entrepreneurship we’re building a thriving immersive media sector in Africa, fostering skills acquisition, talent discovery, entrepreneurship, and investment.
Learn more at: www.africacomicade.org 🌍🚀
Get the best of Africa’s daily tech to your inbox – first thing every morning.
Join the community now!